Saturday, October 06, 2007

On Saturday Conference

Ruminations from watching Saturday conference:
  • President Hinckley conducted. Wow. Hasn't happened in a while. But made sense.
  • Eyring wasn't even on my list. I had Nelson then Holland. David said Holland then Eyring was his list. Makes sense. Someone younger to train.
  • MoTab did a great job with the music. As always. The closing song was especially amazing. Here's the man who wrote the music to one of our most-beloved hymns, playing that hymn as the closing song, for his last conference session before he retires. It was gloriously done.
  • Elder Ballard's talk on facts, faith, family, and fruits was very well timed. I am seeing Ensign articles, priesthood quorum and Relief Society meeting lessons, and mutual activities.
  • Ahhhh, the Apostle-nator.
  • Afternoon music was ... nice.
  • Elder Holland's talk on revelation and the trinity made a beautiful point: how can you believe in the trinity, an idea from the Nicene creed, if you don't believe in continuing revelation?
  • Priesthood session had a great father/son choir. Was pleasantly surprised. Also, the organ arrangements were wonderful. Had that nice ethereal quality that conference arrangements have had for the last few years. It would be awesome to have the multiple voices of a five-manual organ.
  • Elder Perry gave a wonderful talk about raising the bar. A quote about his son and high jumping:
    "Lee became a better high jumper because he had not become content with the minimum standard." --Elder L. Tom Perry
  • President Eyring has a new air of authority about him. I remember President Faust's first talk after being made second counselor. He talked about the calling being akin to receiving a new pair of glasses; that he was given a new view perspective on the world. President Eyring also shared an experience where he had to speak at a conference of ministers from many different faiths. The subject? The restoration and why it was necessary. Elder Maxwell was originally scheduled to speak. He had to stand in for him. That is the LAST person on the planet that I'd want to stand-in for.
  • President Monson's manner all day was slightly restrained. I believe it was out of respect for President Faust. His talks were amazing. After he spoke he shared a quick story and gave a beautiful tribute to President Hinckley.
  • President Hinckley's subject came out of left field. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized he is continuing with a VERY timely theme. Is that not the mark of a prophet? It is interesting to see how he will talk on a subject, then others will take up the standard, and he will move on to a new warning. Years ago it was the danger of pornography. Two years ago he talked on treating wives with respect. Then he talked on gambling. And now anger. I remember especially the gambling talk, as it was just before poker began huge again. Caused me to think of a few areas on my life where I can give a "smile, show love, peace, appreciation, and respect rather than anger." [Loosely quoted]
Looking forward to Sunday's sessions.

Labels: