Friday, May 02, 2008

Eventful Car Trips

We had to run to the Container Store. The place is Kristin's Mecca, and we needed a few things for the house. On the way down the toll road I had a conversation with my second-cousin-in-law, Bryce. Bryce, Lisa, and Sophie are on their way to Colorado for a summer internship. Two hours from their destination, a snow storm has closed the highway. They are stranded in a convenience store in Casper, Wyoming.

Bryce: "I'm standing in front of the largest case of knives you've ever seen. In a convenience store, no less. There are sabres, brass knuckles, and what could only be described as a knife on a stick."

Oliver: "Dude, you're-"

Bryce: "I know what you're going to say."

Oliver: "You're in Wyoming."



On the way home, coming through the toll booth, a cop is standing making sure everyone has up-to-date inspection stickers on their car. I glance at ours, see a "2" for February, and calmly drive through. He asks us to pull over. That's an '08 next to the 2, not an '09. He comes up to the window, makes the customary request for license and registration, then asks,

Cop: "Is your license in good standing?"

Oliver: "What do you mean?"

Cop: "Is it suspended?"

Oliver: "Oh. No."

He gave me a look, walked back to his car, and returned with a ticket. I can either pre-pay ($30 ticket plus $62 processing fee) or go to court. With a processing fee double the price of the ticket, I'm going to court on principle.

2 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sally said...

Where in CO are Bryce and Lisa going to be? No ans to me needed. How about hooking them up with Sara? Mom

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger TXlaps said...

Update: after 15 hours we finally pulled into Fort Collins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home