Clara-isms
Clara's verbal ability has really taken off as of late. She's speaking in full sentences, often even grammatically correct full sentences. Her pronunciation still leaves something to be desired, but it's getting better little by little, and hey, she's not even three yet. I'm just glad that she can now tell me what she wants instead of resorting to pointing and whining. It's also great to get some insights into how she views the world around her and what she thinks about all day.
----------
Case in point: the other day I was flipping through TV channels and came across "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." Not exactly two-year-old friendly viewing material so I went to change the channel, but paused when Clara called out, "Mom!" I turned to her and saw a look of disbelief on her face; we happened to land on the scene where Harry receives his father's invisibility cloak and is trying it on for the first time. Once he puts it on all you can see is his head floating in mid-air. She looked at me, clearly trying to figure out what in the world could cause that, then very matter-of-factly said, "He broken. He needs tape." Apparently in Clara's world you can reattach anything, and I mean anything, with a piece or two of scotch tape.
----------
She's also developing a love for familiar songs and will often sing them, either with us, to Anna, or to herself. She'll sing the alphabet song until she forgets what comes next and will call out, "I need help, Mom!" Primary songs and Church hymns are her favorite, probably because we sing them before quiet time and bed time every day; she can sing most of "I Am a Child of God" and "I Need Thee Every Hour" on her own. She also recently added "Follow the Prophet" to her list of acceptable songs. When we get to the chorus we'll sing, "Follow the..." and let her fill it in with "Prophet." Well, the other day Oliver was singing this to her and rather than complete the phrase "Follow the Prophet," she completed Oliver's "Follow the..." with "President Monson." I guess she gets it after all.
----------
For the past few weeks she's been telling me several times a day that she needs to fly high in the sky like a butterfly (she wants to be a butterfly for Halloween). "Momma, I need to fly high in sky. I need wings or a rocket ship."
----------
As I said before, her pronunciation is still not fabulous, and I'm the only person who can understand probably 95% of what she says (gotta love being a stay-at-home-mom). Oliver can probably get about 80% and everyone else might get between 60-70%, depending on just how much time they spend around her. So here's a little quiz to see just how well you can decipher Clara-speak; take your best guess and check the comments for the translation:
1. Pum here fipper aya.
2. Dat pee weer.
3. Oh bess sow sayor I tum to be.
Labels: Clara

6 Comments: (Post a Comment)
1. Come here sister Anna.
2. That's pretty weird.
3. Oh bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee. (The final phrase of the hymn "I Need Thee Every Hour.")
What a beautiful little girl you have. I love the stories and the Clara speak. How fun that you have it recorded in your blog.
I love the need to fly, and what but buttefly wings or a rocketship would work?
I was able to get 2 of the 3! She is such a cutie!
it was delightful to meet and spend time with your wonderful daughters
thanks
I got the first two-yeah! Even though you gave a BIG hint with the post!
Post a Comment
<< Home