A Mother
I have spent the last three days watching Kristin do things that only a mother could do. I have watched as she experienced contractions and the other elements of child labor. I have watched as she pushed and pushed until I couldn't imagine anyone pushing anymore to bring Clara into this world. I have watched as she held Clara for the first time, cooing, talking to her, and telling her she was so glad she could be the one to welcome her into this world. I have watched as she has changed diapers, fed, and cared for this newborn child.
And all this time I have been at her side, helping out where I am physiologically able (I can change diapers). In addition to seeing her do things that only a mother can do, these are often the things that you don't very often see a mother do. I've never been present at a labor, birth, or first meeting. However, this time I've seen the most private of interactions, those reserved for the closest of family and friends.
This afternoon, as we were packing up to leave the hospital I saw Kristin do something that I've seen hundreds of mothers do. And it really came home to me that my Kristin, the girl I love, is now a mother. As she double checked Clara's carseat to make sure the straps were just right, I realized that this is something that I have seen many times before. And right then it hit me that this is what she is now. A mother.

Labels: Clara

0 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Post a Comment
<< Home