Bowling for Bombshells & Commentary on My Age
Today my department had an offsite. Unlike someone I know, I rather enjoy some time outside the office with my teammates. I enjoy people - as a general rule - and welcome the chance to get and do something other than sit and breathe shallowly while I type.
Today's offsite took us to Lucky Strike in downtown D.C. It's a bowling alley with no smoking and good food. I don't think they serve corn dogs, though one does sound tasty right now. We arrived and a spread was served: Caesar salad, nachos with multi-colored corn chips, chicken and turkey sandwiches and these things called Chicken Bites. Chicken Bites are the true embodiment of goodness, deep-fried chicken nuggets tossed in one of four sauces: buffalo sauce, sweet and sour, honey mustard, and - insert sigh of nirvana here - ranch. A plate of the ranch ones somehow found its way to the table where my team sat. Sweet, sweet ambrosia.
After gorging ourselves, we began to bowl. Our four teams - High Rollers, Bowling Stones, Split Happens, and The Incredibowls - bowled three games. I never realized how tiring bowling can be. I bowled a decent game but lacked the bowling boost (beer) of my office mates. I was proud of the fact that I broke 100 in one of my games.
A group of us rode the metro to and from Lucky Strike together. On the way back to the office, while changing trains at Metro Center, Alicia received a phone call. "Hello?". I'm always jealous of those people who have cell phone reception in the tunnels and stations; drat that Sprint. "What!?! Anna Nicole Smith is dead!?!" Heads turn and audible gasps are heard. "Give me the details!"
For the next few minutes Alicia relayed what few details were known. All the sudden Diana receives a text message. "Anna Nicole Smith ... dead. Make sure everyone knows." Gina, a coworker in a different department, wanted to make sure we heard even while on our offsite. Another member of our group received a phone call, but I don't want to mention her by name as it was from her boyfriend. He would probably be embarrassed if everyone knew he was following celebrity gossip on the news. In his defense, he saw it on a news site.
Back at the office, the group split up, two people to thank Gina for sending the text and the rest to their desks to gather as much information as possible. As we walked by Sterg's desk she said, "I can't get on any of my celebrity blogs.".
Anna Nicole Smith : Celebrity Gossip Blogs :: 9/11 : News Sites
While discussing the day's events with Kristin that night, I realized that the fact that no one called/messaged/texted me means I am not part of the young & hip crowd. If that's the price to pay for a cute wife and daughter, I guess it's worth it.
Labels: work

1 Comments: (Post a Comment)
Add me to your list of the not "young and hip." I found out while driving home from work.
Post a Comment
<< Home