Vacuuming
At the end of the day, vacuuming is all about the parallel lines. I give you three vignettes.
Oliver as a Teenage
I remember well the day that my older brother Matthew left for college. As he boarded the people mover at Dulles International Airport my older brother Jared and I sang the Hallelujah chorus while my mother bawled and kept telling us to stop, that we were being mean. This, unfortunately, made us sing all the harder, laughing as we tormented our mother and bid adieu to our brother. When I got home, I moved my stuff from the upstairs bedroom down to the room Matthew had vacated in the basement. At this point I should probably mention the burn stains in the carpet and the scorched ceiling tiles, but this post isn't about Matthew and his chemistry exploits, it's about vacuuming.
I rearranged the room, hung up my posters, and started enjoy life two floors away from my parents. I had graduated to the big leagues, and I was excited. Not one to clean his room on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, quarterly I would get the bug to clean. This entailed emptying my room of all furniture, vacuuming the entire room multiple times, then bringing the furniture back in a different configuration. I have fond memories of my rearranged rooms. (Rearranging furniture was something I did often to most rooms in the house. Something about spacial relations and thinking about different uses for the space.) And when I vacuumed, there were always parallel lines in the carpet to show. I remember vacuuming the living, family, and dining room and obsessing over every part of the room, figuring out the way to vacuum myself out of the room with a perfect, pristine floor, each vacuum line in the carpet perfectly parallel or perpendicular to the next. Nothing better visually complete a room.
Oliver as a College Student
One summer during college two friends came to visit, Will and Randi. After a few days of mayhem at my parents house we had to clean up the place as my mother was coming back in town. (My mom, travelling? Shock.) Randi and Will offered to pitch in. I set Will to vacuuming the living room. I came in halfway through and had a mini-freakout. Will vacuums like Kristin does: stand in the middle of the room and run the vacuum over the carpet in no clear pattern. As I stood there trying to explain to Will that vacuuming didn't work unless there were lines in the carpet, with Will not understanding how this matters, Randi stepped in and took over. She realized that Will, the consumate engineer, viewed both ways as equally effective and that he would never understand my neurosis.
Oliver as a Father
Last Thursday, the effects of a child who wanders with food were making me jump out of my skin, so I spent an hour vacuuming the living room. To give you proper perspective, Kristin can vacuum the room in ten to fifteen minutes. I passed over most areas twice, if not three times, and moved all the furniture to get maximum access. The lines were beautiful. The carpet felt soft and plush. You could hear the cleanliness of the carpet. Debbie appropriately admired my handiwork while Kristin rolled her eyes. Then on Saturday, while we were rearranging the upstairs rooms, I spent twenty minutes vacuuming one bedroom. I emptied the canister three times so I could watch the dust swirl and collect as I passed over the room time and time again. And though you may mock, that room looks amazing. Clara's new room is clean, fit for my beautiful daughter.
And there were parallel lines. Oh, yes, there were parallel lines.
Labels: obsession

6 Comments: (Post a Comment)
You should get out once in a while. It could really do you some good.
Now that you have shared your obsession with the world I have one question for you. What would you do with your spare time if you moved into a home with wooden floors throughout?
I remember one occasion as we were lounging on your living room floor when you leaped into the air and declared that the floor needed to be vacuumed.
It's just weird. :) I'm with Kristin. Lines all over the place makes way more sense.
Funny! I totally forgot about that. I completely agree, though. It's what I love most about ballparks--the perfectly mowed outfield. It's so odd, too, because for a girl who loves and appreciates order and exactness, I sure am a slob.
What more evidence do you need that your first family "pet" name was Precioius Oliver. Oh, the things you do. As a young boy of four-five-six, you kept a pristine room and were furious if anyone ever got any thing out of place in it. Remember when we moved to Randall street? Whenever the door bell rang, you ran to answer it, invite who ever was there in, show them the house, beginning with your room. You are crazy, but that's what makes you so loveable. Mom
there is only one true way to vacumn and that would be with patterns and order
Hi Oliver! Jennifer (Pyle) Thomas here. Paige gave me the blog address. Your "people mover" mention made me happy and sad- happy because I so love the people movers, sad because I didn't have the opportunity to ride on one my last visit to Dulles and their life is being shortened everyday. Anywho, you go with your straight lines. I love that! I'm a precision vacuumer as well, although 3 kids running around doesn't always allow me to be. Great to see what you are up to!
Check out my profile for a link to my blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home