Monday, May 12, 2008

Adventures in Articulation

Clara is beginning to speak. It is sporadic at best, but she has definitely said the following words:
  • cup - one day when we had friends over Kristin said something about a cup and Clara looked at her and said, "Cup." She has yet to repeat the word.
  • Da Da - one of Clara's favorites, she is constantly babbling "da da da da" but will use the term "da da" correctly in reference to me. (As mentioned in this post.)
  • Ma Ma - rarely used, much to Mother's chagrin.
  • nigh nigh - currently a favorite, "nigh nigh" is accompanied by a trip over to the bottom of the stairs to indicate the desire to sleep. Can be used in the middle of the day to indicate fatigue.
  • da - here meaning "that." Common usage involves Kristin. Clara will point to something indicating that Kristin should tell Clara what it is. Then Clara will point to something else. "Da." "Fan." "Da." "Door." "Da." "Bowl." But Clara will never say the word Kristin just said. "Da ... Da ... Da ... Da ..."
  • water - a few days ago she pointed to her cup and said "water," never to be repeated again.
  • bless you - about a week ago someone was over. The person sneezed and Kristin said, "Bless you." The person sneezed again and Clara said, "Bless you."
  • Da Da and Ma Ma - today while Kristin was carrying Clara down the stairs after nap time Clara blurted out "Da Da and Ma Ma."
The key point here is that she never says ANYTHING on command. Strong will say what?

Labels:

2 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oliver forgot one: the ever-present "No!" It's usually accompanied by a huge frown and turn of the head...and sometimes even of the whole body. Always a joyful one to hear.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

I have to laugh a bit because I soooo remember this stage. Can I just say that during dinner time we are often trying to get Nicole to be quiet. Jeff and I cannot finish (or get much into) a conversation without being interrupted.

But I remember wanting her to speak, I remember encouraging it... Ahh the good old days. (the "no" part won't change, but she'll get "Mom" down really well, I promise)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home