Today's Commute
Do you remember the posts where I included a visual of how I paid my bus fare? That that money, plus my daily rate-increased Metro fare, and I am paying about $8 a day round trip. But not today. Today I slugged to work and slugged home from work.
While standing in line for the bus this morning a man with whom I've slugged before pulled up. He also goes to Courthouse and as I got in he said, "You're the Washington Post guy?" To which I replied, "You're the Verizon guy." He nodded, smiling and we rode to the office in silence.
As he dropped me off I mentioned that if he'd like, I would be willing to slug home with him this evening. He was more than willing as it would allow him to take 66 (that's "the 66" to you, Jeff) and shave fifteen to twenty minutes off his travel time. We arranged a time to meet, I gave him a business card so he could e-mail or call to change plans, and we were set.
At the appointed time we met in front of my building. We ended up having a delightful conversation, and he had me to the Herndon-Monroe Park & Ride in about thirty minutes, half the time it would have taken on the train and bus.
Kristin and Clara picked me up, and as I climbed into the car I remarked that I had a free commute today. Living twenty miles outside the city and having a free commute. Glory be to slugging.
Labels: commuting

4 Comments: (Post a Comment)
I love the term slugging. It is a really great term.
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slugging is a wonderful thing. I would slug in some mornings and sometimes I would have others slug in with me. Great Job O!
Post a Comment
<< Home