Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Quick Post

I'm going to make this quick as Kristin is already passed out asleep on our bed, a book of Sudoku at her side, pen uncapped, and I want to go join her in slumber. A few notes on Clara.


Clara has begun to communicate using words. She has always been a determined communicator. The word "uh" (but with a guttural tone) has been used to describe many different things, but always with a very specific idea that she manages to get across. But lately, she is using individual words to correctly describe things. One of the first words was nigh-nigh. About a month ago, Kristin, Clara, and I were sitting on our bed and Kristin said, "Are you ready to go night-night?" Clara perked up, said, "Nigh-nigh?" and started climbing off the bed. Being the first time I heard her correctly use the appropriate word, this became a landmark event for me in Clara's development. She is becoming less of a person ruled by instinct and more of an individual personality who has her own ideas on the world. (Where did she get that from?) When Kristin and Clara come to pick me up from the Park & Ride, as the turn in the parking lot, Clara often starts saying, "Da da da da."


Recently we upgraded from the Ikea Expedit 2x4 bookcase to the 5x5 to store Clara's toys and provide additional out-of-reach storage (see right). Kristin purchased collapsible containers that fit perfectly in the cubby holes to hold Clara's toys. All toys have an assigned place and it is very important that each item is correctly put in its place at the end of the evening, that order is adequately restored to the living room and toy storage area. Many a good-intentioned guest has been chased away from the toy storage area for fear that a toy gets improperly put away.

One of the cuter things that Clara does is to grab hold of one of the containers full of toys, pull it out of its cubby, dump it on the floor, and put the container upside down over her head. The sides are mesh, and therefore see-through, and she'll walk around with the container, eventually finding a victim onto whose head the container is placed. She is absolutely adorable when she does this, and smiles and giggles as she totters around with a big container on her head.

One can't help but wondering if she playing for play's sake or if she is trying to communicate something to her neurotic parent. Please note that the pluralized form of the noun was not used.

Labels:

4 Comments:   (Post a Comment)

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Jared said...

It is a good thing you are not putting too much of yourself out there (like usual). I am glad you are recognizing all of your quirks.

One comment about not letting others help clean up: LET THEM. I know you will have to go and resort, but when Clara makes a mess and needs to clean up, you don't want some overexcited parents telling her not to clean up.

Take it from someone who has struggled with the same problem.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger foculbrown said...

Nah, stay the way you are. That means that Colter can come and add to the mess and we get away without cleaning up. :D

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger fiona said...

Zachariah's not allowed to put the playroom back together at the end of the day (He gets stuck with dish/kitchen duty). When he does it, it's neat enough, but the stuffed animals aren't set up in a cozy little group with space around their heads for everyone to breathe, the little cars aren't lined up on the hearth, the books aren't arranged just so, etc., so I totally understand. Though I will let others clean up, and if the twins can be convinced to, all the better! I just fix it that night. I'm super fast now, and it's so satisfying :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Marci said...

Ha! Tell Kristin I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND about the anal toy-putting-away OCDness. Yep. I do it too.

And... just to celebrate your anticipated arrival in Ptown, I bought a warm delights chocolate molten cake yesterday. And enjoyed every last scraped bite. Perfect for the sleep-deprived parent of a newborn. Only takes a minute and BAM. Instant chocoholic satisfaction. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home